Published submissions must be postmarked or courier-dated no later than December 1, 2013
The 2014 awards are for books and short stories published in 2013. The Arthurs, established in 1984 and named after the nom de travail of Canada's official hangman, are awarded annually by the CWC in the following categories:
• Best Crime Novel (Min. 50,000 words)• Best Crime First Novel (Min. 50,000 words AND author’s 1st novel in any genre.)• Best Crime Novella (8,000 - 20,000 words) This category is being piloted for 3 years as of 2012.• Best Crime Short Story (Max. 8,000 words)• Best French Crime Book (Fiction and Nonfiction)• Best Juvenile or YA Crime Book (Fiction and Nonfiction)• Best Nonfiction Crime Book
The Arthurs are for CRIME WRITING which encompasses far more than the traditional whodunit. Crime writing includes capers, detective, espionage, mystery, police procedural, suspense, and thrillers, as well as fictional or factual accounts of criminal doings and crime-themed literary works. If you are not certain that your submission qualifies as a crime book or story, please contact us at:
To qualify, a work must fulfill the following criteria:
1. First publication (includes print, electronic/e-book, or self-published), whether in English or French, in the preceding year (2013) by a Canadian citizen regardless of place of residence, or by a writer, regardless of nationality, who has been granted Permanent Resident status in Canada. The year of publication is determined solely by the copyright date of the book or the short story.
2. If the work was originally published in a language other than English or French, the first English or French translation of the book is still eligible if:
3. If a work is co-authored, at least one of the authors must fulfill the citizenship/PermanentResident requirement.
4. Special eligibility requirements for the First Novel category: In addition to the above eligibility rules, an author entered in this category cannot have had any other novel of any kind published commercially:
Note 1: A novel that has an ISBN (or ASBN) is considered to be published commercially.Note 2: The author may be published in other formats (e.g., short stories, non-fiction, plays/screenplays, poetry) and still be eligible to enter in this category.
5. The book or story fits into the crime-writing genre (see above for our description of "crime genre").
Please note that the following books and short stories are not eligible:
Please make out your cheque or money order in Canadian funds for the appropriate amount to Crime Writers of Canada. If you wish to pay via PayPal, please contact
If a category has fewer than six (6) submissions in a given year, all books or stories will be held over to be judged in the Arthur Ellis Awards of the following year.
For short stories, please include a photocopy of the original published version and the table of contents of the magazine or book in which the story appeared. Short stories may be submitted as photocopies of the published work or in manuscript form. If more than one eligible short story appears in an anthology, publishers may find it convenient to submit the anthology. Up to but no more than three (3) short stories per author may be submitted.
For e-books (books that are published in electronic format only), please send hard copies of the book printed on 8.5 X 11, white paper. Please include the title copyright pages.
Submissions must be postmarked or courier-dated no later than December 1, 2013.
For each submission please include:
For the Best Novel category only, a long list will be announced on April 10, 2014. The shortlists for all categories will be announced in April 24, 2014. The winners will be announced at the Arthur’s Gala in Toronto on Thursday, June 5, 2014.
Please send your submission to:Crime Writers of Canada – 2014 Arthur Ellis Awards4C-240 Westwood RoadGuelph, OntarioN1H 7W9
If you are sending books via courier and need a phone number, or for any other inquiry, email:
For information about the contest, please email:
For information about Crime Writers of Canada, please email:
PDF Entry Form for Published Works
PDF Arthur Ellis Rules for Published Works
PDF Le prix Arthur Ellis appel de soumissions
PDF Formulaire d'inscription
Unhanged Arthur Rules for Unpublished Manuscripts
Copyright 2013 Crime Writers of Canada